Monday, June 2, 2008

Booksignings and stuff

Here's my take on author book signings:

I rarely sit at my assigned table ... unless I'm just resting from bouncing around. My way of getting someone to look at my stuff is to wander around putting a book in people's hands.

It's easier than you think.

You just stalk, er, follow someone who's browsing around for something, get into their personal space (it helps if you've showered recently), hold the book out (most people will take it) and say, "I wrote this. See the picture on the back? Yeah, that's me."

If they don't run away shrieking, I continue, "All I'm asking is that you read just one page of this. I'm going to leave you alone. No hard sell here (well, I do keep a hammer available). If you don't like it, put it down anywhere. If you do (and I point) I'll be over there signing them."

This works pretty well, and I sell most of my books at signings.

Now the thing is, your book has to be good ... every page ... for this to work.

And I hate to brag, but if you read any page of one of my books, it will most likely put a smile on your face.

And that's what it's all about. The books.

Anyway, I'll be at Printer's Row in Chicago this Saturday and Sunday (June, um... 7th and 8th? Yeah, that's it. 10am-6pm). Come on out and meet me. I'll be hanging with publisher Karen Syed and a slew of talented Echelon Press Publishing writers at the intersection of Polk and Dearborn ... next to Starbucks.

Starbucks ... woo-hoo!

(ahem, sorry)

So c'mon out and take the challenge of reading one page of one of my books ... and, if you're lucky, I'll let you buy me a White Chocolate Mocha.

See ya there, I hope.

Norm

www.normcowie.com

The Adventures of Guy ... written by a guy (probably)
The Next Adventures of Guy ... more wackiness
The Heat of the Moment

No comments: