Thursday, August 7, 2008

Where Do I Search Now? by DL Larson

The June issue of Writer's Digest (yes, I'm that far behind in my reading) has a great article on websites for writers. Brian A. Klems, has done a great deal of research for us. His article, "101 Best Websites for Writers" is a keeper. He's catergorized the websites into easy to find headings: General Resources, Creativity, Publishing Resources, to Jobs and Writing Groups.

But he doesn't stop there. He's provided a few sites for different genres: Children's writing, mystery, erotica, ethnic, general fiction, freelancing, horror, poetry and religious, and the list goes on including romance, scriptwriting and sites for the young writer.

Mr. Klems includes agent blogs. The list isn't long, but it is perhaps a place to start if one is looking for an agent. I hope to click over to a few of those sites in the near future. Their diversity is as wide-spread as their coverage from coast to coast. Looking for the right agent reminds me of fishing. I hook the worm correctly, I throw my line in where the fish ought to be. I pray they are hungry. But I usually get bored, fall asleep or end up sun-burned and have to come in before I've gotten much more than a nibble. And just like a fisherman, I say, "Better luck tomorrow." But tomorrow never ends up being today! And thus goes the search for a good agent.

The "Protecting Yourself" section answers many of the general questions we all have faced time and again. What contests are legitimate and which ones are scams, or the confusion of copyright laws, these sites provide some insight to educating us on how to proceed with caution. A big thank you, Mr. Klems, on including these valuable sites.

If you know of a great website for writers you can nominate your find for next year's Top 101 Websites Article. The deadline is January 1, 2009. You can send your comments or website address to: writersdig@fwpubs.com

In the meantime, good luck in your trolling or fishing! Or is that phishing, now?

Til next time ~

DL Larson

PS: In the weeks to come: an Interview with Julie Durango, Children's Author.

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

Thanks for the heads-up, DL.
I know I have my Writers Digest around somewhere, not opened yet.
I'll have to dig it up and take a look.
Morgan Mandel