Sunday, September 7, 2008

To Read or Not to Read...

that is the question.

This weekend, well yesterday, I curled up on the couch with a blanket and read a book. This is not an unusual weekend event for me. More often than not you'll find me occupied in a similar fashion, but this time was different. The book I read was my own! THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS is now out in paperback. (My "advanced" author copies have not arrived yet, but thanks to my good friend, Amy, I have a copy in my possession. People who have ordered on-line all have theirs already, which frustrates me to no end, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

I debated whether to read it or not. Afterall, I know the story. I've already read it hundreds of times while going through the editing and revising process. I know what happens and why it happens and how it all works out.

Still, there was something about holding a book in my hand that had my name on it that compelled me to read.

I know people who won't read their own book. Some figure it's nothing new. Some are afraid they'll find errors. (I found two, even after all those times through with edits - if you've read it...I dare you to find them!) Some will want to rewrite a section to make it better.

So, what about you? If you're an author, please share your thoughts on this subject by leaving a comment. Do you read your own work? What are the reasons behind your answer? I'm curious.

Errors (argh!) aside, I enjoyed reading my book. I feel like I really know my characters, and it's fun to visit with them. And, since it's a romance, I know there's a happy ending. And in this uncertain life, there's a lot to be said for that.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra

THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS
from The Wild Rose Press

Champagne Rose, Champagne Rosebud, and Rosebud #1 Bestseller!
WRDF Top Read/Excellence
Four Stars - Manic Readers

www.debrastjohnromance.com

13 comments:

June said...

Hi, Deb.
I have to say I was very tempted to read my book when it came out, but I didn't. I was afraid I would 1)find errors and 2)like you said kick myself for not doing it better.

I think my writing has improved since I wrote Ordinary Me and I don't want to cringe. I can't say I will always feel that way, but that's how I feel now!

Congrats on the release, I wish you many many sales!

June
www.junesproat.com

Keena Kincaid said...

My first book Anam Cara came out this week, and no, I haven't read it, although I have been tempted. Like you, I don't want to see that typo that snuck through or think, "Doh! Why did I do that?"


Keena

http://keenakincaid.com

Morgan Mandel said...

I was afraid to read mine because of the error factor also.

I didn't read the first one because I was too nervous. The second one I almost finished when I was on the train, but then I had promo to do! Still doing promo. It never ends.
Morgan Mandel
www.morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Nancy J. Parra said...

Hi Deb,

I read mine-but it's like standing in front a crowd giving a speech naked...I blush and cringe through the whole thing...

Nance

Margot Justes said...

Hi Deb,
I agree with all the commnents below-errors after all the editing-horrors-
Margot
www.mjustes.com

Linda LaRoque said...

Hi Deb,
I did read my first one, and was horrified at the errors I found. Instead of butter cookies, I had utter cookies. Of course, everyone in my family had to point each one out to me. They were my own fault, but I'm with another publisher now and the editing is more stringent. Also, I'm more experienced at finding errors. Hopefully my next print copy will be error free.
Linda
www.lindalaroque.com

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Debra -- Thanks for visiting me on Christina's blog! Yes, I read my book, on my brand new Sony e-reader. Not sure why I did; obviously I know the story by heart. But I enjoyed doing it, and will probably read all my books that way.

Helen

Brenda J Weaver said...

Hi Debra,
Yes, I do read my own books. It's the thrill of finally seeing them in print and holding them in my hand that gets me every time. Even though I know what's in it, its like reading it in a different perspective. Of course there are going to be errors unfortunately...we are all only human and not infallable but inspite of all that...I am holding a miracle in my hand...something I wrote...something I can hand down to other readers, writers or whom ever...the point is...I love to read as much as write...what more is there to say...except...happy reading!
And happy writing!

Brenda J Weaver
www.thewildrosepress.com
www.brendaweaver.com
www.brenadaweaver.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/ladydragynheart

Christina Phillips said...

My very first book is due out shortly and I honestly don't know if I'll be brave enough to read it!! As others have said, I'd be afraid of finding errors and spellos and not be able to correct them!

Blythe Gifford said...

Nope, I don't reread them. Too afraid of wanting to re-write again! However, I DO dip into the manuscripts when I'm stuck on a WIP to help myself remember how I solved a problem before. But that's usually a quick in and out, not a full read through.

Debra St. John said...

Thanks for all of the great insight into "to read or not to read". I enjoyed reading about everyone's preference in this area!

Norm Cowie said...

I read my books on occasion, and usually I forget entire sections and turns of phrases. It also helps when you have a series so you don't repeat yourself or forget parts of the stories (in case a reader asks you questions).
Norm

Sandy said...

Hi Deb,
I've debated whether I want to read my book when it comes out. I consider myself a revisionist (is there such a word? lol) instead of a writer. I would be wanting to revise it again if I read it. Grin.

Sandy