Sunday, March 8, 2009

Changing it Up

I'm not a big fan of change. Basically, when things are good, I like them to stay that way. Change has a way of shuffling things around and making them different. I don't like different. I like my comfortable, 'the way it always is' way of life.

But I've noticed recently that there are some areas where change is a good thing.

I've been working out a lot lately. I get on my treadmill about five times a week and do some running. While I run I always listen to music. I tend to latch on to a favorite CD and listen to it constantly. The other day, for a change of pace, I put in a different CD. And I had a REALLY great workout. The change of music changed my workout...for the better. I had more energy. I ran longer. I was really in a groove.

It got me to thinking about my writing. Last summer I finally (yes, yes I know I'm WAY behind the times) invested in a lap top. I wanted to be able to get some writing done and not have the "it's too nice to sit inside at my computer today" attitude. That lap top has been great! I write all over the place now. Living room, kitchen, front porch, back porch, in bed, and even out in the garage on occassion (if my hubby's out there messing around with his car.) I've found that 'mixing it up' a little helps to lessen writers' block. A change of scenery keeps the words flowing (most of the time!).

As I've been fiddling with my WIP, lately I find myself skipping to different parts of the story. When an idea strikes, I simply go to that part and write. I don't worry about writing from page 1 to page 300. I write what I feel like writing. And the page count is rising. The story is being told.

And as for the weather here in the midwest, I am DEFINITELY ready for a change. I am done with cold and snow and ice and rain and wind. I am ready for spring.

Hmnn? Maybe those folks who say "variety is the spice of life" have something there. Maybe I should change my outlook and embrace change, instead of fearing it.

It seems to be working so far!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

4 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Live a life of chaos and it's all about the change!

I'm ready for spring weather, too. We were in the teens and with snow a few days ago in NC - this weekend it's been around 80 degrees, so I guess I now have my change.

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

June said...

Deb,
glad you have found a way to get things moving again. Look forward to reading the next story.

June

www.junesproat.com

Morgan Mandel said...

Maybe that's what this book wants. Every book calls to us in a different way.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Margot Justes said...

Great idea, I'm doing the same thing, I was just inspired to finish the showdown and will write that before anything else. Hope it works.
Margot
www.mjustes.com