Monday, March 23, 2009

Happy Monday, not!

When I woke up this morning I was not happy because:
A)It’s Monday
B)It’s gloomy/rainy
C)I have to work

But while I was driving in I realized what really put me in a crabby mood, other than the Monday thing, was that there are some people out there that just don’t get the concept of fiction. So, since it’s my day to blog, I’m going to jump on my little soap box and explain it.

Here is the definition from Dictionary.com

fiction–noun

1.the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, esp. in prose form.
2.works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.
3.something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.
4.the act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.
5.an imaginary thing or event, postulated for the purposes of argument or explanation.
6.Law. an allegation that a fact exists that is known not to exist, made by authority of law to bring a case within the operation of a rule of law.


Okay, got that, IT’S NOT REAL. IT’S MADE UP. Got that people.

But what really gets me is when people read a piece of fiction, let’s just say the first few pages, and say “This is not realistic. They should check their facts.” I just want to scream, there are no facts to check, this is fiction!

Why do they do this? Is it because they hope and dream that their life can somehow be just like the person in the book they are reading? Well, they can. Hope and Dream that is, because that’s all they can do. The people in the books aren’t real. The situations are made up.

Sure, I’ve heard the tagline, “Ripped from current headlines,” but that is the idea for the story. The writing in the books isn’t truly what happened. It’s similar, it is what MIGHT have happened, but it’s not what really happened because what’s in the book is from what’s in the writers head. If it's not, then it's called NON-fiction, and that's not what I'm talking about.

I’m beginning to think the sci-fi folks have it right. Create your own world where everything is completely fantastic and people, if they are even human, do whatever you want them to, realistic or not, and no one can question you because it’s your world. But, then again, I’m sure there is still someone out there that won’t believe it and you know, that’s ok because, it’s fiction.

Now, I’m sure all of you will not agree with me about the whole concept of fiction, but I write teen/young adult fiction. I try to take ideas, thought, feelings that today’s teens might be experiencing and expand on it. Sometimes I take situations and put an adult spin on it, you know, like boy if I knew then what I know now. As a teen I would never have done things I have my heroines do, but I have her do them because they are things a teen might wish they could do. So maybe they can live out their fantasy of sticking up for that friend who is getting picked on, or cause a food fight and not get caught, or even aid in catching an escaped convict. In real life this might not happen, but you know, that’s why it’s fiction.

Okay, I’m stepping down now.
Have a pleasant Monday.

Best-
June

www.junesproat.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't eat breakfast did you...remember it's the most important meal of the day....

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Yep, people ought to realize when they are reading fiction--that's what it is.

In my Rocky Bluff P.D. series, I always let people know I'm writing about my police department so my cops can do what they want. Of course I try to be as realistic as possible--but I'm telling a story and I want it to be one that will keep the reader turning pages. If they want fact, they can read non-fiction, right?

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith
http://fictionforyou.com

Anonymous said...

People will be people and who can explain people and who wants to..Keep writing we enjoy your work.

Anonymous said...

People will be people and who can explain people and who wants to..Keep writing we enjoy your work.

Morgan Mandel said...

As you say, it is strange how people want fiction to be as realistic as possible when it can never be. Anyway, truth is stranger than fiction anyway, so you can't win.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/morganmandel

Anonymous said...

i always skip my breakfast