Sunday, March 29, 2009

Judging a book by its Cover




This is from a recent review I received for Ordinary Me.

“Media coverage makes things get strange in her world-- the boy is interested in her, popular girls pay her some attention, and eventually she gets pulled into a mystery involving the convict. Because of the bright cover, I didn't expect that part!”


Since many authors don’t have any say in cover art, it can come as a surprise to them to. I have been very fortunate with my covers with The Wild Rose Press. I made the suggestion for the cover for Ordinary Me and was asked for input for the cover of the anthology Summer Lovin’. I think they both turned out great. Honestly, I never even thought about somehow including the mystery part of the book in the cover.

So, does anyone have any cover stories to share? Let’s hear them!

Thanks,

June

(You can read the whole review here: http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2009/03/june-sproats-ordinary-me.html)

www.junesproat.com

3 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Just trying to figure out what kind of cover to use for my new romantic suspense, Killer Career.
Don't know if readers like people covers better or thing covers.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

With the cover for DYING IN A WINTER WONDERLAND, our Toys for Tots anthology for 2008, I had a USMC Corporal to comment that the cover looked dark and sort of depressing. Gee, I never thought of it that way! Evocative, perhaps, or mysterious, but not depressing--at least not to a "life taker and heart breaker" like a member of the Marines! (Thank you, GySgt Highway for that phrase!)

June said...

Well, you can't judge a book by it's cover!

Thanks for sharing guys!

June