Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Only a Few Minutes by Morgan Mandel

I tell myself I'll spend only a few minutes catching up on friends' blogs, leaving comments, checking my e-mail. Before I know it, the day and/or evening has disappeared. Each time the process takes longer than expected, because once I get started I'm into the experience and don't want to stop.

So, I've decided on certain days, if I'm to get anything done, I'll have to ignore the tempting social media/networking distractions I so love and instead concentrate on getting my novels finished.

Today, I'm going to concentrate on whipping my mystery, Killer Career, into shape. After I've spent a decent amount of time on that project, then I won't feel guilty if I make the rounds again and visit all my friends.

What about you? Do you sometimes get trapped in socializing? How do you curb your appetite?
Please share.

Morgan Mandel - Also at
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Deborah Talmadge said...

I always get trapped, but I haven't figured a way out of it. Various open tabs helps a little. At least I'm making some progress on everything. I could do better.

Unknown said...

I could do a lot better! I have six books in various stages of work. I have two published and a series of kritter stories to try and get in magazines.

I'm also heavily studied on the space-time continueum and I figured it's totally warped as am I so I'll get things done, eventually.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's not the socializing, but the one-thing-leads-to-another syndrome that gets me. Something that requires a response; must check on that; oooo - new leads! After being gone last night for a speaking engagement, it took me almost an hour just to get through my emails this afternoon...

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Peggy Blann Phifer said...

Oh, yeah, it's trapped me way too often. There are so many facets of those social networks, such as Facebook, that--once in there--seem to lure me further. And the "invitaions!!" At what point does one say NO.

I like your idea of setting aside certain blocks of time to "be social" and otherwise ignore the whole thing to pursue this thing we call writing.

Peg
www.sipsncupscafe.com
www.writer-to-reader.com

Margot Justes said...

I agree it's time consuming, especially if you have a full time job, write and try to promote via all the social networks. The latest craze is Twitter-still trying to figure that one out-and by the time I do it will be something else.

Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com
mjustes at earthlink.net

Anonymous said...

Hi, Morgan,

Same complaint. I have to admit, I check my email first and then I comment, like now, or email back. As a writer and reader, it keeps me connected. Now, back to work !

Jacqueline Seewald
THE INFERNO COLLECTION, Five Star/Gale hardcover, Wheeler large print
just released! THE DROWNING POOL, Five Star/Gale

Norm Cowie said...

... and if I could just stay off ESPN, too.

... and Reality shows.

... and ...

Norm

http://fangplace.blogspot.com

Bob Sanchez said...

I spend way too much time not just on socializing but on all kinds of writing-related activities that are not actually writing.

Can't seem to make myself stop!

Bob Sanchez
http://bobsanchez1.blogspot.com