Monday, September 7, 2009

New Toy

Okay, so I'm really a big kid at heart. I love toys. And I got new one. A Kindle. It's the first Kindle. I love toys, but can't afford to get all the new ones so the Kindle2 will have to wait.

A friend of mine knew I was interested in getting one so he saw a deal and grabbed it for me. (Thanks, Kru!) He said take it home and play with it, see if you like it. And you know what, I love it. I really didn't think I would. And I think some little part of me didn't want to like it because I thought I would miss the feel of holding the actual book in my hand.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I found the Kindle to be very easy to use. I love that it saves my page. It fits in my purse, yes I have a HUGE purse, but I had that anyway!

As far as missing the actual book, yeah, you have to get used to it, but I'm still holding something in my hand. Will I give up buying paper books, NEVER.

First, not all books are in Kindle editions, so if I want a book now, I will buy it. But, if there is a Kindle edition and I want a book now, I can have it in 60 seconds and be reading it immediately.

Second, I can't have an author sign a Kindle edition, so I'll still buy those copies.

Third, I still really love books, you can't get a new book smell in a Kindle.

But one of the best things about the Kindle is that my kids are really interested in using it which means they will read more and anything that will keep kids reading is really high on my list. Oh, and with the Kindle, you can't get paper cuts.

Have a great Monday,

June

www.junesproat.com

3 comments:

Debra St. John said...

New toys are always fun!

Romance Readers Digest said...

I'm jealous. Recent events have caused me to delay gratification on purchasing a new eReader. I used to have the Rocket Book and I really loved being able to look up words with the online dictionary and so much more. I'm still following both the kindle and the Sony eReader and I fully expect more eReaders will be coming along in the next year or so. It will be very interesting to follow.

Morgan Mandel said...

I don't have a kindle yet, but I do have some points saved up at Amazon and am mighty tempted to get one.

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com
http://choiceonepublishing.com