Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Can Cover to Cover Recover? by Morgan Mandel

Tuesday morning I was shocked to hear from Mark Everett on streaming audio from WJJQ 92.5 FM in Tomahawk, Wisconsin that Cover to Cover Books and Gifts had caught fire on Monday and suffered extensive damage. Whether or not it will reopen is unclear.

Last May, I held a book signing at Cover to Cover, where it's owner, Dawn, graciously hosted me. Along with books, the store carried all sorts of other fun items, such as deep fried peanuts in the shell. For seven years, Dawn and her husband, Vic, worked hard to make their store a success.

It's sad to see their efforts go up in smoke. I hope somehow they can recoup their loss and go on again at the current location.

I was scheduled to sign books on Saturday, May 8, at Cover to Cover, but fate has a way of stepping in when you least expect it. Maybe someday I'll be able to visit Cover to Cover again, but time will tell.

For now, I'll share some pictures of the store with you. The first is with me and Dawn at the counter, then there are outside views, plus a fun one by their bench taken last October.

Here's a link I found about the fire from an email I received Tuesday from Publisher's Lunch:
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20100420/WDH0101/4200598/1981

Morgan Mandel

3 comments:

Debra St. John said...

Oh how sad. What a terrible thing to have happen.

Cheryl said...

How upsetting for them. They will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Cheryl

Rebecca said...

We had a used bookstore near us that caught fire, but it was attached to a drycleaners. So sad to see books burn.