Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fabulous Fall by Margot Justes

The murky overcast sky and the colorful leaves on the ground were a perfect reminder that the holidays are approaching. I love this time of year and have already started shopping for my Fakesgiving.

Okay, I have to explain that, since her marriage, my daughter Solonge hosts Thanksgiving every year. When the girls were growing up we always had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and I couldn't give up the holiday. So, I started having our dinner with family and friends on Saturday after Thanksgiving. My 'step-sister' Miriam (we've decided we're sisters) coined the Fakesgiving holiday, and it stuck.

This morning at 7am, I was on the way to my favorite European grocery store, Shop & Save. The time was perfect, the traffic non-existent and the store almost empty. I made a serious dent in my holiday grocery shopping.

The scent of freshly baked bread and cakes wafted throughout the store, it was a temptation, and I never say no to temptation. Well almost never. I bought bread.
And got some of Dina's favorite sausages, and a kiszka. For those not familiar with kiszka, it is a sausage filled with barley and beef blood, seasoned and stuffed in a casing.

Dina is coming home this afternoon to drop off her finicky feline. She's going out of town and I'm cat sitting till after Thanksgiving. I will be hearing midnight meowing discussions, my spoiled kitty does not take kindly to visitors, and Lilly is very territorial, hence the many discussions.

Happy Fall everyone, so far it's been glorious.

Till next time,
Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com
A Hotel in Paris

4 comments:

Debra St. John said...

Margot,

I can almost smell that fresh baked bread. Mnnnnnn.

Enjoy your holidays...the real ones and the "fake" ones. What a fabulous tradition to have started.

Deb Larson said...

I love family traditions! And family is what you decide it is! Or who!!
Good luck with your feline guest!
DL Larson

Morgan Mandel said...

Some people skip the bread so they can have more room for the main meal, but I absolutely love bread. I eat more than my share of it when I go out somewhere because it's usually really good.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Margot Justes said...

Ladies,
It's all about the food. Morgan I love bread too. We're in agreement, it's about family and food.

Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com