Monday, April 25, 2011

Wedding Buzz

No, not mine, but Prince William and Kate’s. Are you excited about the wedding?? I am.

Yes, the anticipated wedding of Queen Elizabeth II’s grandson and his fiancé will be at the end of this week, April 29th and yes, I will be up at around 4am to catch the action live. I certainly could sleep and watch the rebroadcast of the ceremony, the pomp and circumstance, but why should I when I can see it LIVE! Well, I wish I could see it live and in person, but alas, I was not one of the 1900 invitees.

Regardless, I will watch and ooh and aah and wish I was in merry old England.

Keeping on the research track, here are some historical references for the big day, Friday, April 29th!

1958 Britain My Fair Lady

29th April 1958 : The Broadway musical "My Fair Lady" opens for its first night in London, with Rex Harrison as Professor Higgins, and Julie Andrews playing Eliza Doolittle. Tickets for the show cost just over £1, the first month is sold out before opening night.

1986 England Duchess of Windsor, Wallis Simpson

29th April 1986 : The Duchess of Windsor, Wallis Simpson, is laid to rest alongside her husband, the abdicated King Edward VIII, at Frogmore in Windsor. Members of the Royal family including the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince and Princess of Wales, Princess Anne, and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, as well as The Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher attended the Ceremony.

1993 England Buckingham Palace

29th April 1993 : Buckingham Palace will open its doors to the public in order to raise money to repair the fire-damaged Windsor Castle. The palace will only be open in August and September when the Queen is at her Scottish residence, Balmoral. The cost of entrance will be £8 for an adult.

Source: http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/april29th.html


Have a great week!

Best,
June

www.junesproat.com

3 comments:

prasad said...

The world is awaiting for Royal wedding after so many years a marriage is in the royal family i hope both of them will live happily life along together with some one or two children so let us wish they will be the best couple of the world for the year of 2011.

Deirdra A. Eden said...

You have a fabulous blog! I want to award you the Creative Blog Award for all the hard work you do!

BTW, I am your newest follower.
I invite you to follow me, but no pressure. I’m not giving you the award just so you will follow me. You really do deserve it!
Take care and have a nice day :-)

Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm curious about the royal wedding, but don't think I'll get up at 4:00 am on purpose to watch it. However, if I so happen to wake up around that time, I'll turn on the TV in the bedroom.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel